When you live in a large, metropolitan area, there are a few things you expect to be true.

A fairly good pizza, delivery and take-out.

A bit of significant culture thrown in amidst the glitz of millenial new and tech-driven demands.

A diversity of people that adds to the richness and depth of the local landscape.

Shopping that soothes the retail demands of anyone.

Living in Orlando, Florida, we’ve got all this covered. And so much more.imgres-1

It’s Mickeyville, for pete’s sake. Home of the Mouse and a bazillion other tourist attractions.

What’s not expected, in the middle of this urban oasis, is a predator that attacks at will.

I’m not talking about the two-legged kind.

We’ve got a bobcat living behind us.

I was working on my computer a few days ago when I noticed a blur of brown in our back yard. We’ve got quite a few deer back there, so I didn’t think much of it. Until it paused and I noticed it looked nothing like a deer.

It hunkered down on the edge of the lawn, then sprang a good ten feet and landed on a squirrel. Grabbing it in its mouth, it shook the animal and then bounded back the way it had come.

My neighbor, Ed, has seen these bobcats before. This was a first for me.

Further proof of his presence came a day later. When turkey vultures congregated in our back yard.

unnamed-1Never a positive thing.

I needed to mow the lawn, and I know those dudes have no respect for people when they’re eating. So I made a ruckus and wandered over to see what was on the menu.

A dead raccoon. Surrounded by duck feathers.

I’d interrupted a gruesome dining out experience.

So, to the list of unsavory co-habitors in our neighborhood, including alligators, a large variety of venomous snakes, mosquitoes the size of sparrows and arrogant carrion birds, I can now add large carnivorous cats.

Lovely.

Not always the case.

I may be able to get a good pizza, but not respect. I might have entertainment options, but not compassion from someone when I need it.

People are fickle. We all struggle with consistency and follow-through. Two of my obvious gaps.

Not God. He is who He says He is.

“And He who is the Glory of Israel will not lie, nor will He change His mind, for He is not human that He should change His mind!”   1Samuel 15:29

When God makes a promise in the Bible, He keeps it. It’s not in His character to lie or flippantly change His mind. His character is dependable.

Life is unexpected because people change in a moment. I’ve changed my mind about someone just because of what I thought they said about me.

God? He’ll never let me down. He is exactly who I expect Him to be.

Do you have someone you can count on who always follows through for you?

14 responses »

1. debbyshehane says:

Ewwwww. As for the bobcat, You need a South African Boerboel. (I’m sure that John will agree)

2. Beautiful! I’d be thrilled to have one of these in my yard (although I would keep an eye on the dog!). God is so good to entrust to you His nature.

• daylerogers says:

I think God gets a kick out of teaching us in the little things of every day. The things we see, the people we meet, life being lived where we are. Yes, this big cat would have taken out a dog–but he didn’t go after the deer! Go figure!

3. Bobcats, oh my! I never associated those with Florida. I have an aunt that found a bear in her garage down there though. I like where you went with the story. Great post!

4. mackeylois says:

We have a diversity of people in our little NC town, Dayle – and even bears! I also live with the expectation that things will work out the way I expect – ending with – if I’m loving – I’ll be loved! I better look for GOD – HE won’t change HIS mind about me! Blessings to you both!

• daylerogers says:

I love being loved by a God who chooses not to stop loving me. And sees me as His own. If things don’t work out for us–I know the Lord has a reason that is better than anything we can come up with. Love you, Lo!

5. terry morgan says:

I can count on you(!) to make me laugh, or challenge myself, or look to God for my real security and identity… like today = all three in one! Thanks for seeing Him in all of life, being honest about yourself – with humor – so we can also laugh at ourselves, and giving us the true source of hope… over and over again. So grateful for you today!

• daylerogers says:

Well, my sweet wordsmith friend, I can count on you for truth and genuineness and joy. And I so appreciate that we walk this path together–though not often enough with each other. Your words are always a balm to my heart. Thanks, Ter!

6. AwakeningSardis says:

I love how your writing starts with random (and funny) stories and manages to tie it all together with a point. It’s fun to read and to see where they go. 🙂

I really loved THIS paragraph. I am sure you will know why. “I live life with an expectation that things will work out how I think they should. If I live in town, I shouldn’t need a shotgun to protect my yard from carnivores. If I’m kind, people will be kind to me. If I’m diligent, I’ll finish things well and will garner respect and appreciation from those I work with. If I’m loving, I’ll be loved in return.”

Oh and I am with you on all the freakishly scary animals in Florida. They are on my top ten list of the reasons I hate Florida. 😉

7. alice fredricks says:

Dayle, you do such a great job of seeing spiritual truth in your everyday experiences! I love the way God made you!! Plus you bless me with what you “see” and I just pass by!!